Monday, May 14, 2012

Don't "Do-Yourself-In" with a "Do-It-Yourself" Mentality


Rob Eagar's Monday Morning Marketing Tip
is written to help authors, business owners, and non-profits
spread their message like wildfire.


Self-Publisher Rob
A younger Rob with his self-published book hot off the printing press.
This week's focus:
I am one of the few original self-publishing success stories. And, I did it way before the advent of e-books, Amazon, and social media. Over 10 years ago, I left corporate America as a sales executive to pursue what seemed like a ridiculous dream to write a book. I had no publishing contacts, no name recognition, and no desire to wait two years to get published. So, I chose the D-I-Y "do-it-yourself" approach. I worked tirelessly on my manuscript for a year. Then, I hired my own editor, page layout designer, graphic artist, and printing company. Long story short, I put my sales background to work and wound up selling over 13,000 copies, spoke to more than 35,000 people, generated a consistent six-figure income, and eventually signed a nice contract with a reputable publisher. Ten years later, that book is still selling in bookstores across America.

What was the key to my self-publishing success?  I took great pains to avoid appearing self-published. That's right, I did everything I could to make people think that I had been traditionally-published. My manuscript was continually edited until my wife, the VP of Quality Control, deemed it "a real book." My book cover looked amazing and received great feedback. My book was printed on high-quality paper. My first website was created by an experienced professional. My marketing materials all featured the same brand. I succeeded because didn't let a D-I-Y mentality give me excuses to cut corners on quality.

Today, I see too many self-published authors sacrificing quality to get a book done quickly and cheaply. Maybe that explains why the average self-published books only sells 150 copies...total. That's a lot of hard work flushed down the drain.

Anyone can be a maverick and write their own book. But, not everyone can be successful. I'm all for the entrepreneurial spirit, saving money, and enjoying the fruits of your labor. However, unless you're gifted in every area of publishing, spend the extra money to utilize professional freelance editors, graphic artists, and web designers. Don't D-Y-I (Do-Yourself-In) with a D-I-Y mentality. If you choose to self-publish, do it right from the beginning and create a book that becomes your own success story.




Reminders:
Advanced Book Marketing - Teleconference Marketing Teleconference for Authors - This Tuesday, May 15th:
"Sell Books While You Sleep - The Power of an Author Website"
Get top notch instruction from Rob - even if you can't be present for the live teleconference call. Everyone who registers gets a mp3 audio recording of the 60-minute call to listen on their own time. Register early for $49 at:


Sell Your Book Like WildfireRob's New Book Releases June 7th:
Sell Your Book Like Wildfire is the definitive guide for authors on book marketing and publicity. The official release date is June 7th. Pre-order today and get FREE shipping for only $16.99 at:




To receive Rob's "Monday Morning Marketing Tips" directly to your email Inbox, click here

No comments: