Monday, April 16, 2012

Does Marketing Feel Oppressive or Liberating?

Rob Eagar's Monday Morning Marketing Tip

is written to help authors, business owners, and non-profits
spread their message like wildfire.


This week's focus:

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? Likewise, if you write a book and no one reads it, does it make you an author? I would argue no, because the whole point of writing a book is to share it with others. Otherwise, you're just writing a diary.

There is a scriptural proverb that says, "No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, they put it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light." If your book helps people "see the light," then what sense does it make to avoid marketing? Authors of any genre should feel obliged to let their value shine.


There's no reason to feel guilt when you reach out to help someone. Therefore, marketing should be viewed as a liberating endeavor, not an oppressive burden. I encourage authors to adopt the following maxim: I have fantastic value which can help people mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Thus, I'd be selfish not to approach as many people as I can with my value.


When you take time to write a blog, speak publicly, post on Facebook, offer free resources, or conduct radio and TV interviews, you are drawing people to the light of your book. If you find those activities tedious and difficult, then you may have forgotten your value or the fact that people deeply need it. Come back to the light.




To receive Rob's "Monday Morning Marketing Tips" directly to your email Inbox, click here


@ Rob Eagar 2012. All rights reserved.


1 comment:

Julie Sunne said...

I had never thought of marketing my writing or promoting my blog in that way, Rob. Thanks for the freedom to uncover my light!