Friday, February 29, 2008
Still, I ran across an interesting post from Joe Wickert, the Executive Publisher for Wiley & Sons. It's a few years old, but he gives a good summation of how best-sellers are created. These comments especially caught my attention:
"I feel (author platform is) the single most important ingredient for a bestseller. Sure, placement and promotional activity can boost sales of just about any book. But the sales difference between a book written by an author with a solid platform vs. one with a lesser or no platform is huge. Thanks to all the platform vehicles available these days, authors can help drive more sales than ever before."
Joe's blog is definitely worth reading. Check it out at:
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Strength for the Soul
Speaker and author of When Women Walk Alone (over 90,000 copies sold)
"Rob Eagar helped put my speaking ministry back on the map! After writing 6 books, I was facing burnout in my writing and speaking. But, my publisher suggested that I check out Wildfire Marketing. And, in less than 3 months, Rob enabled me to experience these results:
- Enriched the message of my ministry with a new brand, Strength for the Soul.
- Wrote improved marketing text to make my speeches, books, and website more appealing.
- Sent out better newsletters that reached key leaders and generated new bookings (see before/after pictures below).
- Created a new e-commerce system to produce additional revenue.
- Gained new confidence to negotiate higher speaking fees.
Rob re-enforced to me the value of what I do and how you can’t put a price on bringing life-change and the opportunity for salvation to another individual. I’d recommend WildFire Marketing to any author or speaker who wants to take their ministry to a higher level.”
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Actually, there is no secret formula, but here's some interesting information that can help answer the question. Leaders usually make booking decisions about speakers in this order of priority:
1. Personally having heard the speaker and been impressed.
2. Heard from a trusted peer that the speaker is excellent.
3. Heard from a trusted subordinate (fellow staff member, assistant, etc.) that the speaker is excellent.
4. Heard from a trusted third party that the speaker is excellent.
5. Heard from a speakers bureau or agent with whom there is a relationship.
6. Seen or heard something about the speaker (e.g., media interview).
7. Received promotional material from the speaker.
I've worked with speakers at all levels, and I can vouch for the validity of this information. Note how the top 5 ways that leaders book speakers are based on "relationships," such as personal encounters, referrals from peers, staff members, friends, etc.
Plus, the #1 way is through hearing a speaker do a great job at another event, being impressed, and inviting that speaker to come speak at their organization. And, it's no surprise that the least common way speakers get booked is by flooding the world with mass mailings of brochures and media kits.
So, now you know how speakers get booked. But, this brings up an even more important question: What are you doing to get more referrals and build relationships with key leaders?
If you're stumped, give WildFire Marketing a call at 1-800-267-2045. We can help.
Monday, February 4, 2008
President, Proverbs 31 Ministries
Best-selling author of When Women Walk in Faith
“Initially, I was skeptical of investing in a marketing consultant. But, after meeting with Rob, he identified several specific areas where he could help me improve. And, in less than three months, I experienced these results:
● Differentiated me from other speakers by developing a unique brand, Leading Women in the Adventure of Faith.
● Dramatically improved my bio and speech descriptions for my marketing materials.
● Increased my confidence to speak at higher fees.
Not only did Rob help me improve in these areas, but he also trained me on the crucial techniques of becoming a “value-driven” speaker. He enabled me to identify what my audience needs and how to answer their needs in memorable and life-changing ways. Because of Rob's help, my message now makes a much stronger first-impression, and my talks have a far-reaching lasting impression.”